Wednesday, November 21, 2007

KANYE SPEAKS ON THE PASSING OF HIS MOTHER


While performing in Brussels, Belgium on Sunday as part of his Glow In The Dark Tour, Kanye West made his first public statement on the passing of his mother. In an emotional couple of minutes, Ye touched on his mother, friends' reactions to his tragedy and the media. He also dedicated the song ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ [by Journey] to his mother.

Here's an extract of what he said on stage:

“.. The problems that we’re going through, the situations and hard times. And who would ever thought that these same songs would have to help me. And these shows, every show that I do has a different meaning to me now. Whether it’s “I Heard ‘Em Say, Nothings Ever Promised”, “You Can’t Tell Me Nothing”, “Jesus Walks”, “Touch The Sky”, or “That that don’t kill me can only make me Stronger”.

You know people call me and they say, “well you need to do this and you need to that.” And about 50 people, or 100 people that I ain’t never talked to in like the past 3 years call me out the blue talking about, “I just want to tell you that I give you [my] support and stuff.” Well I appreciate all the support and all that, but don’t suggest what I’m supposed to do.

[They say] “What you need to do is you need to stop touring and go home and clear your head.” Go home to what mother fucker? Because if they see you out and you go outside and then the media catches a glimpse.. MAN FUCK THE MEDIA! Nobody can tell me anything about, you know when they talk about celebrity lives and real lives and the difference with all this being on T.V. Right now, you can’t tell me nothing.

And there’s nothing that she loved more then to come to the shows and scream louder than any fan. Because she was my first fan that was screaming before anybody else. My first manager. And if she was here, she would tell me to “get on that stage and kill it dawg.” That was her favorite word, dawg. She would tell me to go on this ‘Glow in the Dark’ tour and take over the world and “be number one like how I taught you to be baby.”


Kanye buried his mother, Dr Donda West, on Tuesday. John Legend and Anita Baker sang at the funeral while Ye's famous friends such as Jay-Z and Beyonce were also in attendance to lend their support.

2 comments:

SIVU NOBO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SIVU NOBO said...

My tears go out to you Kanye. I've learnt so much from you over the last few years and it truly has made me stronger. They can't tell me nothing!