Tuesday, February 19, 2008

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH PRO



By Swagger Girl


The artist formally known as Pro-Kid is a mean-mugging type of dude with an attitude. At least, that’s the kind of personality he exudes. Beneath the surface lies a hardened ex-convict with dreams, brains and, most of all, heart. With only three years in the mainstream industry under his belt, 27-year-old Linda Mkhize has gone from wanna-be street MC to fully-fledged hip hop star, complete with three albums, a fashion label and sneakers. We sat Pro down for a hectic one-on-one about life after Gallo Records and beyond.

Why did you leave Gallo?

I only had two weeks to put together my second album, DNA. So it was not really my album, it’s Gallo’s album. Gallo breached our contract in terms of video and marketing obligations, which couldn’t be met because of the Three Kings concept. It got to a point where I was ready to go back to the streets.

Do you find that you are undermined a lot in the industry?

Yes. They tend to undermine me because they have dealt with plenty of artists who do not have the know-how. I mean, there are recording companies out there that are still offering contracts with formats from the ’80s. You gotta be aware.

Were you not concerned that moving to TS Records, which is predominantly a kwaito and house label, would discredit your work?

I had this in mind all the time. I knew if I made that move that people will be watching. I have outgrown the whole artist thing. The whole thing is about the brand and people like (TS boss) S’bu understand that.

We expected TS to mould you into a kwai-hop artist.

All they asked for was a sound that would allow business for us. The choruses are catchy but the verses are chilly. The detail is in the beat. Mine are classic kasi. Rap is about street life. There must be a streetwise element to it.
.
Do you see yourself as an MC or an m’rapper?

My definition of an MC is someone that battles. I don’t battle anymore so I see myself as an m’rapper. I discovered the vernac challenge in the bedroom.

Why don’t you battle anymore?

A lot of people asked me to stop. The dumb thing about it is that you are only as good as your last battle. So it’s advisable to bow out instead of fall off.

You have been caught up in beef in the recent past, but now it’s quiet. What’s going on on that front?


People are tired of beef, especially when the artist is only beefing in order to make a name for himself, at your expense. People think wa fosta (forcing matters)!

It seems that you are held to a higher standard, compared to other vernac rappers?

With many of these cats, you don’t see the art of writing. Pattern forms flow, which forms a lyric. Flow forms a message. You can pick out the metaphor, punch lines, wordplay, etc.

What makes this album - Dankie San - different from the others?

It took me only four to five weeks to make because I just wanted to redeem myself after DNA. The whole drive was that I have been here a minute, let me show you!

Your album is conspicuously missing any collaborations, why is that?

Yeah, vocalists only. I said: “No, ma’gents, I got this!” I had to kill the expectation of Maggz on every album. But there is more to come. Remixes and mixtapes.

Who supplied your beats?

Omen, Dome, Semi-Tone and I-V League.

We’ve noticed that you have a clothing line out. What sets your clothes apart from other celebrity designs?


Initially we wanted to make the T-shirts available only to convicts, because we are looking at society at a conscious level - the sidelined ratio of society. So to show my love for the people, we attached a Braille effect to the Pro logo. Disabled people also have it hard.

How did the sneaker collaboration with Loxion Kulcha come about?

I am the first m’rapper to have a sneaker line. They approached me for a co-branding licence, which was claused only to footwear. Which gave me a chance to later pursue clothing.

What’s your ultimate goal?


To expand and extend hip hop. Musically, there is very little activity to the point that an 11-year-old would like to be one of us. We lack that element that was dominant when we were younger, in the early ‘90s. I would also like to own a charity club and go from artist to activist. Now that’s the definition of a legend.

After your brief stint on the dance show, Jika Majika, can we expect to see a lot more of you on TV?


No, acting is not for me. I like that real-life shit. You can expect a documentary, though, about making the album.

Who appeals to you at the moment?


Lil’ Wayne is nice. He is very street. You have to listen to Tha Carter II. Reason is fresh as well. Not a gimmick. Skye Wonder is also hot.

For Dankie San merchandise, call the mobile shop on 078 1922 986. Alternatively, check out www.proonline.co.za

5 comments:

Kopano [kp-spears] said...

Whose this Swagger Gal??? Lol... Nick and your suprises... Ya neh...

Unknown said...

pro i love you and your music so much i've got all your albums and now im looking forward to buying Snakes & Ladders. but evrytime i go to the shops to buty it, i dont find it, it's gone. big up

Anonymous said...

Please, explain more in detail

Veronica Davenport said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading

Anonymous said...

golden goose sneakers
goyard bags
palm angels t shirt
supreme clothing
yeezy shoes
kobe basketball shoes
off white outlet online
bape outlet
off white nike
kd 12 shoes