Thursday, January 31, 2008

THE BIZ – WHO’S HUSTLING RIGHT? VOL. 1


By Nick Kaoma

In the 14 or so years since attaining political freedom, young people have shown a penchant for mixing the pivotal sense of confidence with other equally important ingredients such as hard work, integrity, persistence and ambition.

Young Mzansians are, more than any other time in our history, poised to take charge of the socio-economic direction of this country. Young Leaders are in abundance, even if they themselves are not yet aware of this. I see them everywhere; at the train station waiting anxiously to get to work on time, at the universities and colleges studying tirelessly so that they can attain the expertise that will further this country’s cause, at the banks trying persistently to get loans to fund their grand business ideas and I see them everyday, at numerous office buildings slaving away just so that they can get enough money and experience to help turn their ultimate dreams into reality.

At Encore, we’re inspired by these young people. Thus, we bring you a new weekly feature called “Who’s Hustling Right”, through which we'll cast a spotlight on thousands of young entrepreneurs and hustlers who are ushering a new era of prosperity and excellence.

Tebello “Tibz” Motsoane is one of these people; instead of resting on his laurels and savouring the comfort of a perky corporate gig, he has decided to expand his horizons with a company which is set to become the Virgin of entertainment. In his own words, he tells us why he has no choice but to win in this game of life.

Sup pimp. Tell us a little about yourself (where you from, where you went to school etc).

What’s good man. Well I’m from the East Rand, Katlehong and Spruitview. I went to Sacred Heart College and did my thing at WITS (media studies and international relations). I’m a Jhb cat.

How did you get into the events promotion game? Where does the love for that particular field come from?

I got in the game by accident. I threw a crazy 21st and shut the city down. I then started throwing an annual B-day party and it was always crazy. I eventually joined an events management company, Blackberry Productions before branching out on my own with, SHOWLOVE.

I love the entertainment industry, I love putting in a show, but I can’t rap, sing or act… so this is the next best thing. My work requires me to be myself so I’m always going to love it.

What’s your vision for SHOWLOVE and what is it that separates you from your competitors?


SHOWLOVE is about to branch out into numerous spheres. We’re managing a lot of amazing talent, throwing larger events and showcasing our diversity. SHOWLOVE will eventually be similar to a brand like VIRGIN… we will touch everything.

What separates me is my hunger, aggression and the respect I have for this game. Too many new guys are getting in this game because they think it’s easy. Having a large phonebook and plenty of Facebook friends doesn’t guarantee you a thing.

You have to develop concepts, create the desire and be even more creative with your marketing. I’m always looking for something fresh… that’s what separates me.

You’ve done many gigs, which one sticks out as the baddest and flyest of them all?

The Swagger Boys B-day on the 50th Floor of The Carlton Center and The American Gangster Launch at The Palms.

I’ve have larger turnouts but those two are my favourites since all the elements( concept, venue, djs, music, people, etc) were in place.

Are you getting love from corporate brands out there? What can you offer them?

People only get to see the parties. We do a lot of below the line marketing for numerous brands, so the corporates are feeling us.

We offer them easy access to a unique segment of the urban market, which is SHOWLOVE’s niche. Since we focus on hip-hop, we are well aware of the fact that lovers of this genre are generally well-informed and trendy… hence we see rappers getting more endorsements and hip-hop slang/jingles being used in more marketing campaigns.

What personal ethos do you live by to ensure survival and success in this game called life?

You have to be on top of your game all the time. You have to come to the table with real deals! You have to find something that keeps you inspired constantly so you never lose your edge. You have to stay hungry and stay humble…

Which entrepreneurs (hustlers) do you look up to and why?

Sbu Leope (TS Records) represents intelligence, drive and passion.

Ruli Diseko (tiltt.co.za) is my idol… he is all –out hustle and I have so much respect for him.

Omen (producer) is a showcase of focus and dedication. The man has built an amazing studio and doesn’t stop working.

Few other cats are getting things done and they all get love.

Do you think young South Africans have what it takes to turn Mzansi into a developed nation through entrepreneurship?

Young dudes today confuse me… they all act like made-men when they haven’t even got started yet. We have plenty of talent, but there’s a lack of focus and we’re driven by the wrong things.
We need to chill with some of the egos out here… only way we’re going to build is if we do it together… there’s hope.

Tell us about Friday night’s “Old Skool vs, New Skool” party; why should people come in droves?


You need to be there because it means PARTY PEOPLE (Kenzhero) finesse meets SHOWLOVE (Milkshake) swagger. This is for the lovers of music from 206 and Trescalini days through to the new school.

The Jhb Swagger Boy, Maggz will be hosting… the swagger begins. SHOWLOVE



If you know of any young, enterprising people that we can feature on Encore, drop us an email at nickk@encoremag.co.za.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site by my cousin.
I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my
problem. You're wonderful! Thanks!

my blog: diet plan to lose weight