Thursday, October 18, 2007

NHLANHLA READY TO CEMENT HER POSITION AS THE QUEEN OF AFRO-POP



Nhlanhla Nciza of Mafikizolo fame has just launched a solo career and a clothing range. After enjoying huge success with the award winning group, Nhlanhla joined TS Records which is owned by her husband TK Nciza and Sbu Leope, as a solo artist. Her first single “Ungowami” off the album Inguquko (Change) is on heavy rotation on radio stations nationwide. She's also venturing into business. Isaac Mahlangu caught up with the stylish diva...

How was it working on your solo album, this time without the presence of Theo, the other half of Mafikizolo?
It was scary I have to say but at the same time I told myself it was a good thing. It shows that I am growing because I worked really close to the producers; I wrote more on this album that I ever did when working with Mafikizolo. Even it terms of people I wanted to feature on the album I was the one who had the say. I could also decide on who I want to feature on songs. It was challenging but it showed growth at the same time.

You've recorded your solo album with TS Records, which is half-owned by your husband TK, does that mean you got preferential treatment?
Not at all. I think I might be working twice as hard more than other people because my husband is that kind of a person who would make you follow the schedules. If you have six interviews lined up, he will make sure that you will do all of them. If I am sleeping he will make sure that I wake up and do that interview and maybe other artists can get away with that not me. I am not really having it my way.

Mafikizolo has achieved a lot, do you feel the pressure now as a solo artist?
Most definitely there's a lot of pressure. Because of the success of Mafikizolo automatically people expect you to be as successful. Now people also expect me to a big seller, just like Mafikizolo. They don't understand that I am now a new artist and I am starting from scratch. I am like someone who just got a record deal.

You've been on many hit songs, which ones are your favourite and why?
It is always nice featuring other artists, one of my favourites is Mafikizolo featuring Busi Mhlongo, “Ziphi Inkomo”. It was such a blessing being with her in studio. The other song is “Ndihamba Nawe”, that's a song that said Mafikizolo is here whether you liked it or not. The song on my album which features Nana Coyote is also one of my favourites. It's always a pleasure having people like Bra Nana, they are legends and you never thing they would agree to our generation’s music.

You've been in the industry for a while, what can you say is one lesson you learnt?
There are so many lessons that I've learnt. Number one I have learnt to be grounded no matter what and that alone will take you very far. That's the teaching I got from home that I need to respect myself and respect other people. When you get to the music industry you face many pressures. The first pressure is to sell many albums so that you could live that better life. When that doesn't happen you feel the pressure and turn to drugs because of the frustration. If you are lucky, your first album will sell and you don't know how to handle all the fame and money...you also turn into drugs.

What are your current projects?
When I launched my solo album I also launched my clothing range, NN Vintage. I have also started a management company which at the moment only manages myself. I aim to also manage up and coming artists as well.

What more do you still want to achieve?
That's a tough question. At the moment I wanna grow as an individual and I think I've taken the first step with the clothing range and the management company. I want people to trust my clothing as much as they trust my singing. These are the things I have to make sure that they are out there and people know about them as much as they know about my music.

What do you think makes South African artists struggle to sell half-a-million copies?
I think it has something to do with the high rate of unemployment. Most people can't afford to buy CDs, they would rather buy food or clothes. Secondly we also have to compete with international artists such as the likes of 50 Cent and Jay Z. Piracy also affects our record sales because people end up buying the fake CD for R30 rather than the real thing.

What inspires you to succeed?
The fact that I am alive and breathing to me it says God has given me a chance to take care of my child. He is saying go out there and look for challenges. Hence I like the saying: "Success is not a destination but a journey". I also look at people that are successful and they inspire me to work even harder.

Is there a misconception that you think people might have about you?
Some people think I am unapproachable and arrogant. It is because I am a very quiet person, not shy but I only speak when spoken to. If someone doesn't say anything to me, I just keep to myself. So people tend to confuse that with arrogance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nohnlanhla, you are a star, a role-model and businesswoman who is willing to build a business empire thru out Mzansi. Keep up the good work and stay focused always. Love Azola

Anonymous said...

oh sisi..... u r so beautiful! saw u last year at Skybar in Durban MMMM and that glowing,smoooooth skin of yours i just love u
bt pls tel TK to visit the gym, yoh that man has a big tummy

Anonymous said...

Im a kenyan, and a big fan....dont retire soon!

kgomotso said...

I'm proud of sis u go girl