Wednesday, August 29, 2007

SIPHOKAZI – THE SAME ‘OL OR BREAKING NEW GROUND?


The new first lady of Afro-pop, Siphokazi, has come a long way, literally and figuratively. Hailing from the small town of eLusikisiki in the Eastern Cape, she made the pilgrimage to Jozi in order to realise her lifelong dream of becoming a musician. In her odyssey to fame and stardom she worked as a backing vocalist for some of Mzansi’s leading for a number of years and has now come full circle as a renowned star in her own right. Lesley Mofokeng sat down with her and chatted about her debut album Ubuntu Bam, fame and her future plans.

What do you consider your strongest point in music?

Voice, Performance and Writing ‘cause you can express yourself the way you like. Music is the tool to convey a message to people.

Fill us in on your background, birthplace, education and the people in the industry that you have worked with thus far?
Born in eLusikisiki, in the Eastern Cape, I completed my matric and did some Public Administration work for 2 years. Then I moved to Sibakwa in Johannesburg around 1999. Since then I worked with Tshepo Tshola in 2001 till 2003 as a backing vocalist. I also worked with Isitimela in 2004 until 2005. I also worked with the likes of Bheki Khoza, Simphiwe Dana, Zama Jobe and Ringo Madlingozi.

Your album, Ubuntu Bam, was greeted with critical acclaim. Are you surprised?

I’m not really surprised. Everything I’ve mentioned in that album is a reflection of my personality because essentially I’m a humble person because of what I’ve been through. I’m pleasantly surprised that most people can relate to me on that level as they have gone through the same things as I did.

What went into Ubuntu Bam? You were lucky to work with such great musicians

I’m grateful that all people I’ve worked with believed in me and allowed me to write and express what I had in mind. From my producer, sound engineer and other people who have long been in the music industry, they all believed in my creativity.

Which is your most loved song on the album?
Actually all of them, because they have their own individual meaning. The album is characterised by traditional music and gospel with a soulful rhythm.

Who do you see listening to your album?
My target people are Rural; Urban; Young; Old Women and Men.

What would you like them to walk away with after listening?
Love, Peace and Hope.

Any highs in your performances since the release of Ubuntu Bam?
I performed at the MTN Jazz Festival on 26th December last year in Durban and the way people were responding to songs (singing along) was amazing. When launching my album, I received standing ovations and I was joined by Ringo Madlingozi, Sibongile Khumalo and Judith Sephuma.

Compliments you received from fans?

I have received many compliments from fans for different songs such as “Ubuntu bam”, “Amacala”, “Uve Ngobani Sul’ zinyembezi”.

How much of yourself did you have to change to adjust to the attention of being a solo performer?
I always have to enhance my style when I appear on stage because initially I wasn’t given a chance to showcase my talent as a lead singer as I was always a backing vocalist.

You are known to be notoriously shy, how do you handle things like stage fright and having to meet with gushing fans?

Stage fright comes natural to any individual when you have to perform for a large audience but songs like Nyamezela make me strong and take away all my fears, and I realise that everything is possible.

What kind of a person are you away from the stage?

I’m a humble person, I’ve got respect for other people; I’m loving, I have this motherly love especially at home with my siblings. I’m a shopaholic and a staunch Christian.

Any sports/leisure time activities?
Shopping.

Do you care much for fame and awards?

As much as winning an award is awesome, it is not my number one priority. It is something that I’ll gladly appreciate if I were to receive one. As for fame, it is not something that one should focus one’s entire energies on.

At what point will you say you are accomplished?

If I can “beat up” the whole African continent and collaborate with other artists whom I got inspiration from then I’ll consider myself accomplished.

What do you think are challenges facing young South Africans of today and how are you dealing with them?

I think the main challenges are teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, HIV & AIDS et al. South African youth of today are free to do as they please, unlike the youth of the 1976 era. They also have more opportunities. There are numerous precautions that we can take to prevent such problems from destroying us but the best tool is to ABSTAIN and focus on education.

Would you go for plastic surgery?

NO, a big NO!!!

Three things you can't live without.

My Voice, Cellphone and my Bible.

Given a chance, how would you like to change people's lives?

I would like to preach to people about the word of God and hopefully enlighten their lives.

What motivates you?

The power of prayer, music and reading the Bible and hearing other people’s views about life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

where cn i find siphokazi`s songs online

Anonymous said...

listening to her voice and the maturity of her lyrical content, one cannot help but be wowed by this lady! She is in the Makeba league. Wish her very well.

Siwe said...

Wow,awuvaleki umlomo sisi yile album yakho nanamhlanje inemfundiso eninzi siyokheka siyi youth yomzantsi phambili ntombi yasemzini uqine sijonge wena sileli phondo lempuma koloni

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! In the end I got a webpage from where I can genuinely take useful data concerning my study and knowledge.


Here is my webpage http://thaicosmeticvacation.com/thai-cosmetic-vacation-hotel-Promotions-Sathorn-bangkok-thailand