Monday, August 13, 2007

IS FLABBA JUST A GIMMICK RAPPER OR THE REAL DEAL?


Nkululeko Habedi, famously known as Flabba of Skwatta Kamp, is not your ordinary rapper. The Alexandra-raised rapper can spit rhymes in four languages, okay, make it five and add Tsotsi Taal to the mix.

He beat seasoned lyricists Proverb, Zubz and Tumi for the 2007 SAMA for Best Rap Album to the amazement of many. Some went as far as accusing the SAMAs of being anti-English on the rap category.

Isaac Mahlangu caught up with the rapper and spoke to him about the aftermath of winning the coveted hip-hop SAMA award, current state of Mzansi hip hop, his album Nkuli vs. Flabba and the death of his beloved father in 2004.

How did you get your stage name Flabba?

I grew up with my grandmother; I heard her once calling someone a flabbergasted fool. I looked it up in the dictionary. I then decided I am Flabbergaster, like I am surprising everyone. As years went by it ended up as Flabba.

What do you attribute to the enormous growth of local hip hop to?
Without sounding like I’m putting myself or my group ahead of everyone, I think Skwatta Kamp made hip hop to be recognised and accepted by the masses. Our music was relevant to the South African public and that has contributed to the growth. It is not as big as Kwaito but it is getting somewhere.

How has Skwatta Kamp managed to accommodate seven personalities within one successful group?
I think it’s because we are more brothers than business partners. We were friends first before becoming fellow group members. That’s why we are able to accommodate all these egos.

We do have fights like any other household but after five minutes we talk because we have to perform. We’d fight before a show but when we get on stage you won’t even see that. It is because we are brothers before anything else.

Despite the growth, local hip hop still cannot match its commercial cousins Jazz, Kwaito and Gospel in terms of sales, why aren’t sales reflecting the growth?
Hip hop is still relatively new in South Africa. And we still have other rappers telling us we are not doing the real thing and pulling us back. Hip hop is still young, cats are still learning and people are still trying to get into the groove of local hip hop.

Were you surprised to win the 2007 SAMA for Best Rap Album?
I don’t think I was surprised. I feel I did deserve it because I worked hard on the album. There was no element of surprise whatsoever.

What do you make of the noise made by people who felt you did not deserve the SAMA?
I don’t really respect them because they are quick to criticise but they are not doing anything for hip hop. They are not even contributing. Their contribution is to criticise whoever they think sounds weak or too commercial.

Tell us about your award-winning album Nkuli vs. Flabba?
Well I guess the title says Nkuli is who I was born as and Flabba is the artist and the guy on the street. I was basically trying to find out what’s the difference between the two. But I found out that there is no difference cos there is a little bit of Flabba in Nkuli.

You don’t steer clear of what can easily be perceived as indecent lyrics. You are not shy to mention for example; women’s genitals in your lyrics, why?
You know what, it is funny how people say; he’s not shy to say this and that on a record. I live in a township where you’d hear insults on the streets everyday, nobody will complain about that. Is it allowed in the community? I am not sure. But when I say it, there’s a problem. I think it is critics who start the whole drama. They find something wrong and try to use it to bring you down. Unfortunately they won’t win with me because I will still say it as it is. Hip hop is supposed to be expressive music. I will express myself the way I feel it is right.

There’s an ongoing argument in local hip hop on local vernacular versus English, what’s your take on it?
Everyone can rap anyway they like. I know for a fact I can outrap most of the cats if not all of them that rap in English. Hip hop is not about language, it’s about how you feel. There shouldn’t be a battle about language in hip hop. Local rappers have issues, if they b*tch and moan like that, hip hop won’t get far. We are trying to make hip hop a multi-million rand industry and they are pulling it down to a few hundreds. I rap in Zulu, Setswana, English and Afrikaans.

Your father passed away in 2004; did that change your outlook to life in any way?
Off course, I had to be the man in the house. It also brought a lot of anger as well. I asked myself why he had to die in his 40’s. He was still young, so it was anger and having to suddenly be a man.

Who do you think is the most underrated local rapper?Mr Selwyn. I think he is tight. Most people don’t see that and I don’t know why.

Who were your rap influences when starting to rap?
I started rapping in 1992 during the gangster rap era. I was influenced by Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre, mainly West Coast hip hop.

What are some of the current projects that are keeping you busy?
I am still pushing Nkuli vs. Flabba. I am also writing for my next album every single day. Other than that, I’m busy with my own little things in the township such as my transport service that I offer. I am also planning open up a little chill spot here in Alexandra.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://japulyrem.bigheadhosting.net/pudemelu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real income.
It's all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

cheap jordans
off white jordan 1
hermes outlet online
supreme outlet
yeezy 350 v2
bape hoodie
golden goose sale
supreme
bape
a bathing ape